- September 2011 for four nights
- Exploring the Balto area;
- Try to find an entrance to the castle – we failed but succeeded at getting very lost.
- Port tasting at Taylors with a tour of the factory;
- Porto is full of bridges and I recommend a boat cruise down the Douro River to check a few of them out;
- There is a hill which has a great view of the city to climb up (not sure of the name of it but has a lookout on top).
- Accommodation was organised through the tour
- Portuguese but English is widely spoken and you will not have any issues.
- Hello: Olá
- Thank you: obrigado
- Good bye: adeus or chao
- Yes / No: sim / não (seehm / na-oo)
- Visas not required for Australians and a stay of up to 90 days is allowed (no working)
- Euros (0.73 EUR = $1 USD)
- Seafood rice
- Sangria – both red and white
- Portuguese Tarts – my favourite here, so delicious and luckily you can get them everywhere!
Tips and tricks
- It is hilly in Lisbon – different coming from the relatively flat Adelaide!
- Just get out and walk to explore!
Portugal blog posts